TEC4 Resume print without homing

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

weigu

TEC4 Resume print without homing

Post by weigu » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi,

I'm using a Felic TEC4 dual with Simplify3D or octoprint. When printing with one extruder and more colours (changing at different heights) like described here:
http://weigu.lu/other_projects/3d_printing/index.html
, I have some times the problem, that when I send the second g-code file (beginning at a defined Z-height) to print the second part of the piece the printer doesn't move but only extrudes filament. It does not react on g-codes to move or the display commands.
I understood, that bed and extruder have to be at temperature to be able to move the extruder. I can heat everything up with g-code or by the display, but even then I can only move to X and Y (after homing XY), but not in Z direction because a Z-home is not possible. I understood that I have to home Z, but a normal home can't be done because of the already printed first part of the print lying on the bed.
I tried to move with X and Y to a place on the bed where Z-probe can be done and used G30 to do so. This succeeded but even after that is was not possible to move Z with g-codes.

This happened already several times and it is frustrating to not be able to resume a print after several hours of printing.

Is there a possibility to reactivate the printer with g-codes so Z could be set to a defined height and a print could be resumed?

Thanks for help and enlightenment :)

weigu

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi Weigu,

It seems that perhaps the motors are disabled in the gcode. If you then want to home again, it will not work because axis can only move after home command.

Kind regards,

Guillaume

weigu

Post by weigu » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi Guillaume,

To print the first colour to a defined height I used your last Simplify FFF file, deleted the Ending Script and replaced it only with:
G91
G1 Z20 F5000
G90.
So there is no M84 or similar.
Does perhaps the firmware itself stops the motors after some minutes of inactivity?
With which command could I reactivate the motors to resume without probing or are the XYZ positions lost after deactivating the motors?
BTW Are the recent positions stored in EEPROM or SRAM. I often see ??? on the display. Does this mean they are not known at that moment?

Thanks for your reply
Greetings
Guy