New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end V5

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Bachgassenbande

Re: New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end

Post by Bachgassenbande » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:30 pm

I calibrated with the old nozzle; but as I used the same motor for the E3D I skipped it ;).
Did do a calibration object and had the same good results as before
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

Tygrik

Post by Tygrik » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

Hello Satoer,

Im redesign your very nice bowden to direct extruder ........ and this thing is born :D
Attachments
IMG_4741[1].JPG
IMG_4739[1].JPG
IMG_4736[1].JPG
IMG_4735[1].JPG

satoer

Post by satoer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 am

hahaha :lol: that's a funny approach. You even rotated the text 180 degrees :P . What's the reason you wanted a direct drive?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Tygrik

Post by Tygrik » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:04 pm

- Maybe faster exchange fibers during printing
- Better pushing fiber when printing elastic fiber

it's just only my speculation

Now use the extruder, which is based on the original extruder and is only modified for E3D HotEnd.

I like to draw in 3D program and your modified extruder was my second attempt at a modification to me unsatisfactory solution with Felix HotEnd. I really like the design of your extruder (anti dust design). :-)

fl_enoc

Post by fl_enoc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 am

satoer wrote:I didn't wanted to start a Felix versus E3D hotend fight. I've had great results with the Felix hot-end also, but over time the clogging will occur. And, I've had my fair share of problems with the plastic PEEK. I think the all metal design of the E3D hotend is a gigantic step forward compared to the plastic heat barrier. I have even seen PEEK-melting problems on this forum about it. I have had PLA leaking trough the thread of the PEEK over the hot-end. I have stripped the tread when I tried to tighten it good... arrghhh the frustration I've had with this piece of plastic... And with this hot-end, I haven't got any problems at all... I haven't got a single clog or misbehavior from the very first print I've started with it. The only thing different is that I need to print on a higher temperature than the Felix hot-end. Don't know why. Maybe a different thermistor scale or its the way the head is designed. I don't know why the E3D hot-end isn't working for you. Maybe there's a construction error in you're e3d hot-end, of something not assembled right in the feeder... But for me, it works great.
Hi Satoer,

I have a felix 2.0 and i used your extruder design for my v5 e3d hot end, but now im having some trouble with the printing results, it seems like it clogin somewhere but don't know where... My guess is that the ptfe tube and the filament (1.75mm) are the problem because they were always bending over during the printing. I tried this time holding the ptfe tube for it to be parallel with the extruder :lol: and checking every 20 minutes the fillament :cry: i will attach some pictures of it, because the problem seems to keep showing on the printing. Also i wanted to ask you if you had any kind of overheating on your extruder stepper motor? Did you put a vent for it ?
Attachments
image.jpg
I tried to keep the ptfe tube straight as possible to reduce the friction between the fillament and the tube

satoer

Post by satoer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Are you sure the hot-end is hot enough? What happens with an increase of 15 degrees?

Till now I still haven't got a single clog. I'm still using the same hot-end and nozzle. And I'm using the cheapest filament I can find. :)

fl_enoc

Post by fl_enoc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi Staoer i did try to increase that but that wasn't the problem, how much degrees do you use for your hot end for ABS? I'm also using a 0.40 noozle.
at this time i'm changing the current stepper motor 609 standard of felix for a 811 with 48 N.cm stepper motor, because i think the problem was the overheating of the felix motor of the extruder (it was very very very hot) i'll try that and i will tell you how it went. Thx!
Ps. Do you have an skype account? I think talking to you will help a lot! My account is lobelia.sm from lima, peru southamerica :)
Attachments
image.jpg

satoer

Post by satoer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi, sorry don't use Skype.

I set the temperature of ABS to 170 degrees (I don't think the real temperature is that high, I haven't measured it). My motor becomes lightly warm. Maybe you also give the stepper motor too much power? Try to adjust the stepper driver pot a bit counter clockwise.

dennisje182

Post by dennisje182 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Sorry for bumping this topic up. But i'm updating my old Felix 1.5 with a lot of new better parts. I also want to try the E3D extruder, since i was having problems with the PEEK part.
Good thing I found Satoer's conversion project, good job done there I must say! I was just wondering which thermistor and heater cartridge you guys are using......the thermistor I have from Felix seems to be too big (without cap) to fit in the hole in the heater block. Also the heater cartridge from Felix seems te be too thin, I can't get it to clamp in the heater block....

Can anyone help me get on the right track?

satoer

Post by satoer » Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi, this is the old V5 hot end. Unless you have a V5 you need this carriage. The new one E3D sells is the V6.
This is the V6 carriage:
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... f=9&t=1078

Just use the E3D heater and thermistor. The Felix version is too big. Use the recommended thermistor settings from E3D.