Heated bed - Remove of washers and usage of Springs

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Bachgassenbande

Re: Heated bed - Remove of washers and usage of Springs

Post by Bachgassenbande » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Sent out a batch of Springs today to several people.
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

jefstaes

Post by jefstaes » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 am

Hi,

still some springs available? ... I'm interested ... 8-)

I'm a newby ... got the felix 3.0 ... as a kit ... now I notice I have to level the bed often ... maybe it is due the same problem ...

Another challenge is the hotbed coming loose from the 3 screws ... don't know what to do ... glue? ... tried it but they came loose again ... any suggestions? what am I doing wrong?

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:56 am

1) If the bed comes loose from the screws, tighten them all down a bit more so that they are under some tension before _slightly_ loosening or tightening as needed to level the bed, but if you have to loosen one nut so much that it's no longer got any tension on it, then they all needed to be tightened down more before starting.
2) Make sure you level the bed when it's heated to operating temperature. It tends to expand somewhat when it's running, so if you level it when it's cold it will not be at the right height when it's in use.
3) Make sure per the instruction in the assembly manual that the threaded rods in the bottom of the bed are not screwed down so far that they touch the top plate from the inside and start conducting heat, which would probably also wreak some havoc with the leveling.

I have found the whole leveling process to be pretty finicky too, but once you really get it dialed in, it can stay stable for a pretty long time.

seaton

Post by seaton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:43 am

jefstaes wrote:Hi,

still some springs available? ... I'm interested ... 8-)

I'm a newby ... got the felix 3.0 ... as a kit ... now I notice I have to level the bed often ... maybe it is due the same problem ...

Another challenge is the hotbed coming loose from the 3 screws ... don't know what to do ... glue? ... tried it but they came loose again ... any suggestions? what am I doing wrong?
Use the springs from the Ikea pegs (as mentioned in the thread somewhere) if you have a store nearby, thats what I ended up doing and they work great
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

jefstaes

Post by jefstaes » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:14 pm

I will get the Ikea pegs ... looks good ... creative solution ... thanks ... 8-)

But I still have the challenge that all three alluminum screw holders detach from the hotbed ... the screws are still sitting in these holders ... is this normal or should I do something? ... glue or ?

Jef

seaton

Post by seaton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:57 am

jefstaes wrote:I will get the Ikea pegs ... looks good ... creative solution ... thanks ... 8-)

But I still have the challenge that all three alluminum screw holders detach from the hotbed ... the screws are still sitting in these holders ... is this normal or should I do something? ... glue or ?

Jef
My bed was upgrade from v2 so I didn't get any of the screws, so I've just used some normal cap screws and I adjust with an allen key, I actually find it bester that adjusting the nut to level.
Stephen...

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:05 am

I see what you're saying now- the inserts the screws attach to actually came out of the bed? That isn't right, if there's no obvious way to reattach them, you should have Guillaume send you a new one under warranty.

seaton

Post by seaton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 am

The new hotbed I ordered from the website and they don't come with the set screws, while the original hotbed had countersunk screws going through from the top.

So what I've done as I didn't have the correct length set screws is to screw the cap screws up from the bottom through the springs and washers. I now prefer this approach over the original one as I feel it's easier to level the bed as I found that it's a bit fiddly adjusting with a spanner on the nuts from underneath. But either way the new bed is a big improvement over the old one.
Stephen...

dext0rb

Post by dext0rb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:57 pm

I just did this mod with the IKEA Pressa clothespins springs and it works OK, it seems.

The springs are a little long for me but I manged to make them work by using less washers.

Surfer

Post by Surfer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:06 pm

hoolito wrote:I'm in Ghent, Belgium. I can take care of Benelux, since I have a post office below my appartment if you want! But who wants more?
The one who sends needs to buy at least a bubblewrap envelope of sorts and post them I think it is about 3 to 5 euros. (?)
Do you still have some springs left ? If so please sent them to Eddy Jansen boeyenstraat 18 3600 genk. I wa sjust looking for some springs at conrad.com. Please let me know the nr .

Greetings