Filament Spool Holder

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
mcole254

Filament Spool Holder

Post by mcole254 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:36 am

Here is the filament holder I have designed. I feel this is the best orientation for the spool as it has the least amount of friction. My design uses 6 608 size skateboard/longboard bearings and 5/16" nuts and bolts.

Here are the STL files. The *_wide file is for the wider spool which I don't have pictured.
Let me know of any comments, suggestions or concerns.
Attachments
Spool Holder.zip
(100.39 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

bill.gertz

Post by bill.gertz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 pm

mcole254,

Thanks a million, we got the first half printed and are printing the second half tomorrow. We rotated your STL 90 degrees so that the face that mates with the metal was down. We simply used the Skeinforce profile 'Production exterior support + raft', and trimmed the support off. Since the trimmed support or 'ugly; side faces the metal all you see is printed goodness. Thanks for sending/ posting the files. We'll post pictures once we get done.

bill.gertz

HLA

Post by HLA » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 am

Very cool stand. I like that it's so compact and saves place on the table. Too bad my spools are too thick :(

Can I ask where you got the white PLA from?

THanks

HLA

mcole254

Post by mcole254 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 pm

HLA wrote:Very cool stand. I like that it's so compact and saves place on the table. Too bad my spools are too thick :(

Can I ask where you got the white PLA from?

THanks

HLA
I got my PLA from amazon. There is an alternate file for the wider spools btw, it is what I currently have on my printer; I just don't have a picture of it.

bill.gertz

Post by bill.gertz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 am

All,

I'd like to send thanks to mcole254 for posting his STL files. We tweaked the files a bit since the bracket hole spacing for the bracket didn't match the bracket spacing. In spirit of not leaving well enough alone, we also tweaked the models to fit tapered screws we had for the spool holder bearing mounts, and filleted the bearing bracket corners.

Here are our results:

You can see the part mods clearly:

I've attached the new STL files for the mods and the bearing axle we made for the side bearings in the bearing bracket.

If I get time I'll also tweak the nut slot in the filament holder brackets as it's a bit 'shallow' for an M3 nut.

Happy modding,

bill.gertz
Attachments
Filament Holder v1.3.0.zip
Modified mcole254 Filament Holder Archive
(217.47 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Kudos to both of you :)

Lioric

Post by Lioric » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:59 am

Great spool holder, just wondering, is there any special reason why the filament spool is not in the a more "conventional" placement (rolling on the printer's side), instead of above it? Is it because of the printers stability or to avoid jams?

HLA

Post by HLA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm

I could image a spool holder like that would be very useful to:
- save space on the table;
- avoid filament getting stuck somewhere;
- avoid the filament touching the heated bed (causes the filament to bend and potentially jam the extruder);
- ensure that filament is evenly unwided from the spool, and thus doesn't twist;

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Earlier I made a quick and dirty filament spool holder that holds the roll on the side rotated 90-degrees compared to mcole254's holder and placed 10cm lower) and this results in the filament getting stuck all the time. I haven't bothered making changes since I print while I'm there and just have to rotate the spool regularly to avoid jams. It can be made to work with the roll on the side but you need a way to guide the filament to change the direction of the force.

But I believe mounting the roll higher above the printer like danielkschneider has done is a good way to avoid introducing wobbly prints due to the print head being held back by the filament when the extruder moves on the x-axis.

bill.gertz

Post by bill.gertz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:57 am

Hey all,

I finally got the time to modify the STL files to add a bit more depth for M3 nuts on the filament brackets. To answer the questions that were posted Lioric:

o It does keep the filament from twisting and kinking. Kinking is deadly as it will cause a jam at the extruder.
o We ended up with a lot more space as the spool of filament isn't squating on space at the table.
o Stability wasn't really a consideration - the jams from kinked filament was the biggest headache.

Without further ado her are the updated STL files. For the spools of filament typically found in Europe print the mirrored standard spacing spool holder along with the wide spacing spool holder.

Happy Modding...

bill.gertz
Attachments
spool_holder_rev2_mirror_holemod v1.4.0.stl
Mirrored standard spacing spool holder version 1.4.0
(192.76 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
bearing_brackets v1.3.0.stl
Bearing bracket version 1.3.0 (unchanged)
(174.98 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
spool_holder_rev2_wide_holemod v1.4.0.stl
Wide spacing spool holder version 1.4.0
(189.97 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
spool_holder_rev2_holemod v1.4.0.stl
Standard spacing spool holder version 1.4.0
(192.76 KiB) Downloaded 106 times