Looking for OPT1/OPT2 documentation and free Pins

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
kerog

Re: Looking for OPT1/OPT2 documentation and free Pins

Post by kerog » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:01 am

ErikL wrote:So when I remove the glass (yes I have added a glass plate on my printer) it works perfectly but it's not able to detect the bed when the glass is on top. The glass is only 3mm thick.
There are ways to get around this inductive probe issue. You could get a zebra plate from PrintinZ. They make them with a metal layer inside for Printrbots specifically for use with inductive probes. Another option is to glue small squares of aluminum foil at the spots on the bed that are getting probed. I've seen this work successfully with Printrbots.

fanass

Post by fanass » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:25 am

I use a capacitive sensor instead. They can be attached and used in a similar way and recognize glass plates and other material.

seaton

Post by seaton » Mon May 02, 2016 8:45 am

Has anyone tried this Sensor on the Felix? I have it on my other printer (E3D-BigBox) and works well.

Thinking of getting one for my Felix

https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/min ... sor-board/
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

bill.gertz

Post by bill.gertz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 pm

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:22 pm

Having experienced excellent and trouble free prints using a dual E3D-V6 extruder set up I am now moving onto further development.

Currently fitting the copper/nickel plated V6 heater blocks, and also attempting to fit a PT100 temperature sensor complete with amplifier to increase extruding temperature range up to 400 degrees (to experiment with poly-carbonate, peek filament etc).

Currently using the Repetier 92.9 firmware.

No problems in wiring up VCC and GND from the OPT1 to power the amplifier board (and voltage supply is steady), however I require an analogue pin to relay the signal back from the amplifier. I attempted using output pin 42 however the temperature readings are significantly incorrect (being digital?)
20170705_235710.jpg
So the big question is if anyone established if spare analogue pins are available on the V2.1 board?

Thanks,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm

DDME-Marc wrote:No problems in wiring up VCC and GND from the OPT1 to power the amplifier board (and voltage supply is steady), however I require an analogue pin to relay the signal back from the amplifier. I attempted using output pin 42 however the temperature readings are significantly incorrect (being digital?)
Interesting approach - using an output pin (yes, digital) for feeding in an analog signal ;). How did you configure the firmware for that?
Anyway, why don't you just use the normal thermistor input? You possibly should desolder the pull-up resistor connected to this input, which would otherwise cause a small bias in the temperature readings. Of course, you have to specify the correct sensor type in the firmware (EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE, sensor type 13?).
As far as I can see, there is no other option of getting access to an analog input pin (which would be a pin of the "F" or "K" ports).
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Dreide,

Sadly I had drawn the similar conclusions. No harm in asking though...

Various circuits on the board appeared restrictive and was considering soldering in a bypass over the resistor.

The prospect of using the PT100 was appealing (yes sensor type 13) in that it opened up the capacity to exceed 300 degrees. A heat sensor camera has already confirmed the V6 heat breaks work extremely efficiently below 300.
IR_0348.jpg
IR_0348.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
Failing any attempt to slot into the F/K ports I may have to make enquiries with Ohizumi regarding their 400 degree rated themistors...

Many thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:37 pm

DDME-Marc wrote:Various circuits on the board appeared restrictive and was considering soldering in a bypass over the resistor.
I don't get why you are not using the "thermistor circuit". Instead of connecting the E3D PT100 amplifier output to 42, you connect it to the thermistor screw terminal. Of the two screw terminals for the thermistor (e.g. the one for "Extr0"), you pick the one terminal that is not GND, i.e., you pick the one which is closer to the USB port - same for "Extr1". The pull-up resistor close by is by far not small enough to do any harm to the amplifier output, but it should be desoldered anyway for better absolute accuracy - don't bypass it, just leave the gap open after desoldering! If you leave the resistor in, expect a wrong temperature reading by about 14°C @300°C. Instead of desoldering, you could use also a user-defined thermistor table in the firmware.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 pm

I have already (successfully) attempted to use the thermistor port, although in this case for extr1 (pin 15). Interestingly I observed temperature error in the order of 17 degrees even before turning on the heater element.

The PT100 circuit requires a steady 5 volt, and although my voltage is steady its reading 4.90 V at both the Felix and PT100 boards when using OPT2 pins 1 and 5. There is a 5V connection coming straight off the power supply (reading 5.00 V) so will connect to that and assess before moving forward with more firmware mods.

I had the same thought late yesterday to create a user defined table, as I would prefer to leave the board standard if possible. As suggested the added bonus here with using the tables is the capacity to accurately align recorded temperatures to actual readings.

Cheers,

Marc

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:29 am

DDME-Marc wrote:I have already (successfully) attempted to use the thermistor port, although in this case for extr1 (pin 15). Interestingly I observed temperature error in the order of 17 degrees even before turning on the heater element.
Yes, errors are expected to be higher at lower temps.
DDME-Marc wrote:The PT100 circuit requires a steady 5 volt, and although my voltage is steady its reading 4.90 V at both the Felix and PT100 boards when using OPT2 pins 1 and 5. There is a 5V connection coming straight off the power supply (reading 5.00 V) so will connect to that and assess before moving forward with more firmware mods.
The voltage at OPT will be better regulated though. The amplifier should be happy with the slightly lower voltage as well, although you might not be able to get readings fully up to 1100°C ;-).