E3D Dual/Single direct drive extruder conversion for Felix

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
undergroundsurf

E3D Dual/Single direct drive extruder conversion for Felix

Post by undergroundsurf » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi folks

I'm releasing my dual or single E3D V6 Extruder as a replacement for the standard 3.0 dual extrusion. It's still in beta stage but performs in my case much better than the standard unit. The reason why i wanted to give the E3D nozzle a try, is because I had plenty of jams with the Felix version 4 nozzle (Althougt the V3 worked perfectly for a year), and the M4 nuts from the extruder mounting couldn't be thightend anymore. They were "turning" inside the extruder-brackets (to much room, don't no the exact word in english ;). I don't now why but my 3 Star review of the nozzle never appeared in the store, strange.. 8-) So I decided to "develope" my own conversion kit. It's been working for 50h now without any troubles. The dual extrusion setup wasn't tested yet! I've got only one E3D but the mounting looks rigid enought and leveling shouldn't be much more difficult.
Be aware, there are different files for left or right hand extruder! The hinge of the front door doesn’t need to be tightened. I’m using a M3 bolt.

It would be cool, if some of you guys could give it a try, write a feedback or do a remix and post them here.. ;)
Pros:

posibility to print filaflex reliable (had sometimes troubels with the stock Hardware when nozzels where on the lower end of the thightening mecanism)
easy removal of the second extruder for a lighter carriage -> prints faster due to lighter printhead
Multi material, tried already PLA, ABS, Filaflex, Taulman Bridge
In my case much more reliablility

Cons:

You'll lose ~10mm print area on the X and Z axis

You can find all the files on:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:678981

I'm not expecting to release an assembly gide. You should be fine with the cad files and the prictures… You'll need a few additional bolts.
Be aware that you have to change the Thermistor settings in the Repetier Firmware to Number 8! A how to guide is on the E3D-Wiki page. All changes on the Felix Printer are your own risks ;)
Attachments
DSC_0754.JPG
DSC_0756.JPG
Right.JPG
Front.JPG
Front_dual.JPG
Front_ISO.JPG
Last edited by undergroundsurf on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjlink

Post by jjlink » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:27 am

I'm about ready to test it. I just need to do the thermistor setting.
Last edited by jjlink on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix 3.0 with E3D Dual direct drive extruder conversion. (http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1630)
Software: simplify3d

satoer

Post by satoer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:51 am

Nice design. I love the E3D hot-ends. Completely eliminated jams for me!
I just need to do the thermistor setting.
Don't forget to add the heatsink blower. I guess it's designed to use the 30mm fan+ coupling that comes with the e3D V6 kit?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

undergroundsurf

Post by undergroundsurf » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:54 pm

Yes, you're right satoer! It's designed to be used with the original E3D 30mm fanduct. I don't mind about the noisy fans, the steppers are louder anyway ;)

Thanks for your rebuild jjlimk! =D Looks perfect, expect the thightening of the door. You should see on my added pictures how it's ment to be.. ;) I'll add a few more as soon as my print marathon ends. Done 90h of printing now, all working fine.

jjlink

Post by jjlink » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Yes, I will have to wait until I get a hold of another 30mm fan. Thanks
Felix 3.0 with E3D Dual direct drive extruder conversion. (http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1630)

jjlink

Post by jjlink » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:11 pm

The fourth motor mounting screw under the door hinge does not seem to have room for the screw head. What am I missing here? Or should I find a low profile screw?
Thanks

pvico

Post by pvico » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:30 am

Looks good ! I have this E3D V6 still unused.
What material did you use to print the extruder?
Felix 3.0
Simplify3D
123D Design

undergroundsurf

Post by undergroundsurf » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:01 pm

It's printed in PLA with 50% infill. I'm using a standard cylindrical M3 Hex screw and a 0.5mm thick washer. You have to thighten it befor mounting the front door... Maybe there's some filament blocking the screwhead from the bridging process. I had to clean it a bit with the supplied pliers. Hope that helps..

jjlink

Post by jjlink » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:05 pm

I opened up the hole with a drill bit so the screw will fit. Thanks

jjlink

Post by jjlink » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Nice design, it seems to be working very well. As soon as my second E3D v6 arrives I can try dual extrusion with it. Thanks!