[update] Flexi-Felix-struder mod: done

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
gillespinault

[update] Flexi-Felix-struder mod: done

Post by gillespinault » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:31 pm

[update] OK I made it and it seems to work :D
Since I modified my extruder, i can print with flexible filament (i.e. the tricky Filaflex) with no problem :D
Here it is: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:613645

Previous message:

Hello all,
I'd like to mod the second extruder of my Felix 3.0 in a way I could reliably extrude flexible material (such as Filaflex, arnitel, flex pla or ninjaflex). Actually TAZ develloped and shared an interesting design that could inspire this mod: http://fabsterdam.com/3dprinting/buildi ... xystruder/

I think it could be done with just modifying the extruder arm and using some more PTFE tubing. But in order to do that it would be convinient to have the Cad model (or at least the STL) for this extruder arm (and even, ideally, the whole extruder).

Would you, Felix team, agree to share this? Off course, if it works, I'll share the modified files back.

Cheers,
Gilles

kerog

Post by kerog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:42 am

When you replace the original with this, does it work fine with both regular and flexible filaments? Or does it *only* work well with flexible filaments?

gillespinault

Post by gillespinault » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:08 pm

It still works with regular filament but I did not try enough to assess clearly if it works better or worse than the original extruder. I just know for sure that for flexible filament it works much better than before.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:22 am

FWIW, I have a modified extruder that uses the same bearing opposite the filament as the felix extruder, but with a different lever design, namely a long lever to attach a spring to, instead of the short & hard design of the felix. Works just fine with flexible and normal filament.

gillespinault

Post by gillespinault » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi dognotdog. I'm curious about your modification. Would you have a picture, sketch and/or 3D model?

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:56 pm

I've posted about it before: http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopi ... 1448#p1185

The only difference is that I nowadays use ikea springs instead of the wavy washers.

Niho3D

Post by Niho3D » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 pm

I have done this MOD and it works,just changed the lever.Same springs!!

fesch

Post by fesch » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:24 pm

What does it look like when it is installed?

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:51 pm

I do have a 3.0Dual and the left extruder is not working since xmas and I need to exchange some parts but had no time (and spares) so far but I got all now and will do the exchange and also apply this mod.

I just printed the peace in ABS (you need to lie it down on flat side).

I also bought the springs to change from the washers ;)

Anyhow, I think of another change as well : Put a teflon tube also into the hotend.
I read in some threads that this have been done already but I wanted to check if I reaqlly should waste one of my spares now to test.

The hotend looks normally like this:
ExtruderWithOut.jpg
Extruder without the inner tube
And I want to put in a tube (I have 3mm outer/2mm inner PTFE as well as 4mm outer and 2mm inner at home).
ExtruderWith.jpg
Extruder With the inner tube
Did any of you do a similar mod and was the result worth the effort?

p.s.: I used Fusion 360 to construct the extruder peaces and acryl instead of Aluminium as material to show the inner tube :D