Next version wannahaves

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

twicx

Re: Next version wannahaves

Post by twicx » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:12 pm

The Felix print bed gets a lot of unneccessary criticism imo. I'm using the 1.5 one, and just recently put 1.5mm glass onto it, held in place with 6 small bulldog clips. Before I did that, I was just using blue scotch painters tape on the bed, and it was great. The new glass surface is unbelievably good though. I put no coating on it, just give it a clean before I print. Only drawback is that it takes slightly longer for the bed to heat, and the main reason I did the glass upgrade was cos the bed was beginning to slightly bend. Only a tiny amount, maybe 0.25mm, but the glass fixed that. As far as I can see, there's 4 big advantages to glass. 1. Sticks better 2. Smooth + flat surface 3. little or no maintenece/need for adhesives. 4. Easily replacable.

As far as the whole next-version-wannahaves thing goes, maybe an increase in accuracy/layer height, or replace the 40mm x 10 fans with those ones with LEDs. Just for the laugh!

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:17 pm

twicx wrote:The Felix print bed gets a lot of unneccessary criticism imo. I'm using the 1.5 one, and just recently put 1.5mm glass onto it, held in place with 6 small bulldog clips. Before I did that, I was just using blue scotch painters tape on the bed, and it was great. The new glass surface is unbelievably good though. I put no coating on it, just give it a clean before I print. Only drawback is that it takes slightly longer for the bed to heat, and the main reason I did the glass upgrade was cos the bed was beginning to slightly bend. Only a tiny amount, maybe 0.25mm, but the glass fixed that. As far as I can see, there's 4 big advantages to glass. 1. Sticks better 2. Smooth + flat surface 3. little or no maintenece/need for adhesives. 4. Easily replacable.

As far as the whole next-version-wannahaves thing goes, maybe an increase in accuracy/layer height, or replace the 40mm x 10 fans with those ones with LEDs. Just for the laugh!
I only use 2 clips for my glass. Any more than that and you can band the glass over the bed. Kind of defeats the purpose. ;)
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

johnnyTrademark

Post by johnnyTrademark » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Just a very minor issue, but one that has become a real problem for me. The M4 thin nuts in the extruder carriage (see steps 61A or 62 in the assembly manual) aren't held very well by the cast plastic parts making it impossible to tighten the clamps holding the hot ends. My fix? Use M4 thin square nuts (available on Amazon UK and Fastenal) in place of the hex nuts supplied. Just adding two of these nuts to the kit may prevent a lot of user difficulty.
Last edited by johnnyTrademark on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyTrademark

Post by johnnyTrademark » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Less annoying but still troubling is that the locknuts that the lockdown screws for the extruder mechanism (see steps 66 and 67 in the assembly manual) rotate between the carrier segments, requiring squeezing the segments together with pliers to tighten or remove the screws. There are also square locknuts available that would solve this problem, although a change would have to be made to the die-cast plastic parts to accommodate them.

woutzweers

Post by woutzweers » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 am

is this wannahave forum still in use (27 feb 2014). i have some wannahaves for felix 3 but do not want to post them in a non read forum

pla_GodX

Post by pla_GodX » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:23 pm

I would like to have an "all-metal-hotend" like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:235409

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6

To prevent stuck of filament with variant diameter.
More robust printing.

jjlink

Post by jjlink » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:52 pm

I would like Auto-lift hot-ends like this:

http://www.dglass3d.com/products/autolift-hot-ends/

To make dual extrusion work better.
Felix 3.0 with E3D Dual direct drive extruder conversion. (http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1630)
Software: simplify3d

seaton

Post by seaton » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:28 am

Less ringing and ghosting on prints whilst maintaining fast print speeds.
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

mr_cg

Post by mr_cg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Fully independent dual extruder's

It would great to place both extruders on independent parallel moving axis.

1st benefit:
In dual extrusion mode the passive extruder will wait in "parking" position to avoid:
1. oozing
2. hitting perimeter from other extruder

2nd benefit:
Two similar objects (in principle half size of the printing bed) can be printed in parallel. Printing time will be reduced by printing 2 objects in the same time.

Would be great to see such feature.
Due to the felix printer design it should be possible to add such great feature.

neep

Post by neep » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Option for a larger XY print area. I would love to be able to print 50x50 for example. There are very few printers that offer this size and when they do they cost $$$$$. It really shouldn't be that hard or costly to just make a larger platform, extend the rails and frame a bit. Make it a DIY expansion kit. I know many people are interested in this, why the market hasn't caught on yet is a mystery to me.