Next version wannahaves

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Mayhem

Re: Next version wannahaves

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Nice upgrades on the way, keep up the good work :)
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:16 pm

This doesn't make business sense, strictly, but I believe it's important that all the plastic parts that come with the printer are 3D printed. It is the primary "showcase" for the capabilities of the printer, and in spirit of the reprap movement. I would not have bought the printer if the parts weren't completely 3D printed on itself. In fact, that capability was one of my primary motivations for getting a 3D printer. You say injection molded parts are superior, but if I cannot print just as good replacements, the whole thing stinks.

But who knows, maybe the market is moving away from reprap towards more traditional means, where bootstrapping the 3D printer with itself isn't important anymore.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Could you elaborate more on business sense? The motivation to not print the most parts anymore is because we are not able to handle it with our resources any more. I recon that it is amazing that a printer can print out itself and evolve itself very rapidly because of that. To not drift away too much from that, the injection molded parts are designed with 3d printing in mind, the idea was that the printer should still be able to print out its own spare parts or upgrades. In fact the first prototype of the injection molded printer was printed out by a Felix. The development of the molds could not be gone that fast without having a 3d printer. I think the injection molded parts are not dimension superior per se, but you have more freedom to choose from more plastics. Which rule out temperature issues you could encounter now.

Not sure where the market will move to, my guess is that the techsavvy people will care more about the reprap movement and technical story behind a printer. The late comers and I guess majority of the printer users will care more about the endresult and looks.

Maanite

Post by Maanite » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am

Hi

Currently I have 2 main wannahaves. Here they are.

Smaller nozzle option:
I'm using the printer primarily to make really small parts, the biggest ones at the moment being a couple of centimeters in each direction. In the more complex parts I need some really small details. The vertical resolution (z-axis) is fine, I'm normally using 0.125mm layers. However, the size of the nozzle results in approximately 0.5mm wide filament (after extrusion), and that is too much for some parts that I'd like to make. So, in short, I'd like to have another extruder option with much smaller nozzle size than the current one, which is 0.35mm. Something in the bracket of 0.1–0.15 would make a big difference in the XY accuracy.

Dual extruder for support material:
This seems to be on the works already, but it would be really awesome to have second extruder for water soluble support material.

Thanks for the good work so far.
:D

Maanite

Post by Maanite » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:51 am

Oh, and there's one more thing:
All the 3 plastic parts that trigger the optosensors should be delivered printed with black plastic, regardless of the printer colour. My printer is transluscent red (looks great), but as stated in the manuals, that doesn't work with the optosensors, because it lets too much light through. I put tape on the parts as instructed, but that's fiddly thing to do properly, and because of the small tolerances you easily end up with the tape being too thick. When I printed a longer session for the first time, my original tapes became undone because they warmed up, and suddenly I had a terrible noise and rattle when homing the print head. I didn't realise immediately what had happened, but the undone tapes prevented the print head to go home and it kept trying. Not nice. I replaced the tapes with kapton tape coloured black with permanent ink, and that has worked so far, but the whole thing is a sort of a hack, and it would be much better to have those parts in black from the beginning.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:45 pm

gfeliksdal wrote:Could you elaborate more on business sense? [...]

Not sure where the market will move to, my guess is that the techsavvy people will care more about the reprap movement and technical story behind a printer. The late comers and I guess majority of the printer users will care more about the endresult and looks.
Well, as you said, it makes sense for you to produce the parts more cheaply via injection molding, than via printing, if the volume is indeed high enough. Maybe it does make sense to offer both versions.

I also don't believe that FDM 3D printers will become "end-user" devices, in the sense as PCs did, within the next 5 or even 10 years, maybe ever. All the accessory technology, the design and slicing software, still requires above average technical skills to use. The stereolitographic techniques seem more suited to end-users, as they impose much fewer design constraints, at a higher machine and material cost.

But, there's the upcoming market of the 3D copy/prototype shop, which will care more about cost and reliability than the reprap spirit. For this market a cheap and robust printer, an order of magnitude cheaper than "industrial" machines, might be a good fit. How this market will evolve, though, is hard to tell.

Danny-Lelystad

Post by Danny-Lelystad » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Maanite wrote:Oh, and there's one more thing:
All the 3 plastic parts that trigger the optosensors should be delivered printed with black plastic,...... I replaced the tapes with kapton tape coloured black with permanent ink, and that has worked so far, but the whole thing is a sort of a hack, and it would be much better to have those parts in black from the beginning.
Just paint the parts which trigger the optosensors black instead using tape and color that black. See att. pictures.
Attachments
IMAG1116_1.jpg
IMAG1118_1.jpg

Lioric

Post by Lioric » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:29 pm

It is the primary "showcase" for the capabilities of the printer, and in spirit of the reprap movement.
OT but, what Felix printers has to do with "reprap" anyway? It seems you are in the wrong forum if you are interested in repraps. Maybe you can use a Felix as a repstrap if you are into it, but other than that I don't see any relation between both

seaton

Post by seaton » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:26 am

Now that I've been using my felix with the LCD and SD card for a bit now I'd like to see the SD card put into the front or left of the of the LCD module as I find it very frustrating accessing it over and through the machine.

As the SD card can't be used unless you have an LCD module anyway I feel it's pointless to have it located on the main controller board and would be an unnecessary production cost for those who choose not to have an LCD display.

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Lioric wrote:OT but, what Felix printers has to do with "reprap" anyway? It seems you are in the wrong forum if you are interested in repraps. Maybe you can use a Felix as a repstrap if you are into it, but other than that I don't see any relation between both
The fact that I can print parts to modify the printer. That all other parts are commonly available, maybe not in the hardware store, but there are no specialized parts save the hot-end.

The only difference to other common reprap printers is that the parts aren't open source, but for me that was only a slight disadvantage, given the good design. The felix is factually a reprap printer, as its parts are manufactured on itself.