Next version wannahaves

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Next version wannahaves

Post by gfeliksdal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 am

Help us improve the next version of the Felix printer. Every accepted new wannahave will be placed in the list below. This will benefit you too, because most upgrades can be printed out by yourself.

The list of accepted wannahaves which will come in the following updates are shown below:

Proposed wannahaves that will make it to the next version:
- On/off switch

Proposed wannahaves that will made it to latest version
- Better design for servicing hot-end
- More robust belt tensioning system for x and y axis
- Low friction low backlash linear guides
- Larger electronics enclosure for easier cable cleanup.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:07 am

reserved

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:08 am

reserved

felix

Post by felix » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Off switch would be useful :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:40 pm

It is noted and added to the list :)

nigelbrockbank

Post by nigelbrockbank » Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 am

A better design for accessing the nozzle to clear material jams, please. (I might work on this and donate an alternative!)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Nigel, In what way better? You don't have to remove the whole extruder parts to solve the material jam. You can just cut the filament under the plastic guiding to the hot-end and unscrew just one bolt of the hot-end. Then remove the hot-end through the guided slot and remove filament. Place it back and you're good to go again. How did you obtain the material jam?

nigelbrockbank

Post by nigelbrockbank » Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 pm

I found that the part where the hot end is attached is going a bit soft (even at 210 C). As a result I didn't want to dismantle it from there (but it would be easier from there). Leaving the hot end attached meant I could leave it at temperature to help remove the blockage too. I was instead dismantling it via the two bolts that hold it together and have since snapped one of them. No problem though, I'll print another at work tomorrow to get me up and running again. I'm not really sure yet why I've had the blockage problems I've had. I think it may be the filament that I'm using. I'm going to order another spool with better properties to see if it makes a difference. I'll keep you posted as I work it out.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Since I'm experiencing some minor problems with x-axis vibrations due to friction issues I began to think about possible extruder assembly improvements:
- Lower weigh - simplified design with less/lighter metal parts and printed parts
- Lower COG (= move components down compared to current design) This should be achievable by rotating y-axis components 180-degrees (stepper in the top), redesigning the z-axis carrier parts to lower the bed and moving the electronics box away from the z-axis carrier
- Stepper moved closer to the x-axis rail and extrusion (not rotated as it is now)
- COG in the middle of the slider width-wise (= move stepper and hot end etc to the right) for less vibrations (?) when moving the extruder with high speed

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 pm

By moving the double width extrusion backwards 4 cm (connecting the x-axis extrusion and stepper to the front of the double extrusion and not the back) the z-axis assembly (stepper, rod and z-sindle mount) could be moved to the back for a slicker looking front.