First Printer Nightmare!

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

DrewRichards

First Printer Nightmare!

Post by DrewRichards » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello, I have recently received my first 3d printer, a felix 3.1 single extruder. The person who owned it previously assured me that it had been serviced by felix and they had only printed a couple of things post servicing. I know the person personally and trust them on this.

I can't get a single good print out, and now my printer nozzle isn't extruding at all!

My first print ran, it wasn't ideal, but it worked. I think the main issue was that the bed wasn't completely level (I used a spirit level as opposed to checking the nozzle height at various points).

My second print ran, it was awful! It seemed as though the nozzle was too far and was printing in the air, my 3rd was the best but now the printer doesn't seem to work at all.

The nozzle is clogged, I have no idea how to unblock it? I am also not sure why has made it clog?
The printer seems to be doing something which intuitively seems wrong, when a print is started, the bed Z moves away from the nozzle, then moves back FURTHER than the initial movement! Thus hitting the nozzle and even moving it up a little, the bed moves back down again and then the print starts, is this supposed to happen?

This also happens when sending the printer to home on repetier host, the printer moves to X and Y as it should, then moves to Z, in moving to Z it goes past home (0) and keeps traveling upwards to -2.1 or a number around there. Why is this happening? it seems like it shouldn't!

Is this what has caused the nozzle to block?

How can I deal with this and get the printer working again? Please help!

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Dear Drew,

If the printer is in good condition then it should be easy to get it going.

Please take the following steps.
1. Make sure you are able to manually extrude filament.
2. If you are able to extrude, calibrate teh printer. Bed leveling, first layer height with the limit switch vane
3. Before starting a print make sure
Use the latest slicer version/profiles
Make sure the bed surface is properly cleaned. Any form of grease will kill adhesion to the bed.

The reason for clogging can be a lot of things.
Bad slicing settings
Bad filament quality
Printing at too high temperatures
Fan issues with cooling of hot-end
Little blockage inside the hot-end itself, debris.

Hope these tips help.

DrewRichards

Post by DrewRichards » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi,
thanks for the reply, the printer seems to be working okay now. The main problem was the safety stop for the Z axis, (I don't know what this is called.)

I am now having problems with print quality and was wondering where I could find some recommended printer settings? I am using PLA with a felix 3.1. I have tried to import profiles into CURA as there seems to be more room to play with settings in there as opposed to slic3r where my results were really awful.

Any recommended settings would be great!
Thanks again,
Drew

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Drew,

Please download the latest repetier host software. It contains all finetuned slicing profiles for all our printers. You can find it in the download section . www.felixprinters.com/downloads then go to software -> repetier-host. Also I recommend to read the quickstart manual with it. In just a few steps it explains how to install and slice.