Pro 1 discussion

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

mschauer

Re: Pro 1 discussion

Post by mschauer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:49 pm

hi,

everyone knows how works the z axis sensor ? on my pro 1 , i have permanently the message "z-sensor triggered".
that will prints and calibration im possible.

thx

kerog

Post by kerog » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 pm

danielkschneider wrote:
dhatw wrote:I was reading the PRO 1 manual and it says that you need to use PLA to do a calibration (I think it for the heads), can anyone confirm this please. I have no intention of ever printing with PLA, so I certainly don't want to by any.
That may be referring to the FelixBuilder dual head calibration, which assumes PLA temperatures.

dhatw

Post by dhatw » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:26 am

kerog wrote:
danielkschneider wrote:
dhatw wrote:I was reading the PRO 1 manual and it says that you need to use PLA to do a calibration (I think it for the heads), can anyone confirm this please. I have no intention of ever printing with PLA, so I certainly don't want to by any.
That may be referring to the FelixBuilder dual head calibration, which assumes PLA temperatures.
Thanks Kerog, yes it is. I suppose I could manually edit the settings for another type of filament. The problem is I had planned to pretty much only print nylon on my Pro 1. Do you have a Pro 1? If so, how is it working out. I am still waiting on mine.

Dhatw.

dhatw

Post by dhatw » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Can anyone tell me how the auto calibration on the Pro 1 works (I don't have my Pro 1 yet). Does it use a mechanical or conductive method to sense the bed? I intend to print nylon and I am finding that Garolite is recommended as a bed material. I do not know if this will work with the auto-calibration if I stick this on top of the aluminum bed.

Thanks, Dhatw.

dhatw

Post by dhatw » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:33 am

Got my PRO 1 yesterday. Just had enough time to open assemble an admire. Very well put together. I am hoping I don't have to work this weekend so I can give it a try.

dhatw

Post by dhatw » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:52 pm

First print on my Pro 1. Went well. Orbi-Tech Smart ABS.
Attachments
20160109_085156.jpg
250C Ext and 90C bed with Pritt Power Stick

kerog

Post by kerog » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:40 am

dhatw wrote:Can anyone tell me how the auto calibration on the Pro 1 works (I don't have my Pro 1 yet). Does it use a mechanical or conductive method to sense the bed? I intend to print nylon and I am finding that Garolite is recommended as a bed material. I do not know if this will work with the auto-calibration if I stick this on top of the aluminum bed.

Thanks, Dhatw.
It's a pressure sensor. The extruders are mounted on flexures that double as handles to pull out and snap in. When the tip makes contact with the bed, it deflects the flexure, changing a voltage and tripping the Z stop. So bed material is irrelevant. However, it does mean that the autolevel (and regular Z home) has to be done while the nozzle is hot, so that what is being detected is the nozzle itself, not a glob of filament on the end. This also means a dab of melted filament may be deposited at each point where the autoleveling is done. Once the three measurements are made, motors adjust the two right-hand points of the bed support triangle to achieve the correct level. So it's a physical auto-leveling of the bed itself, as opposed to the Printrbot autolevel which uses an inductive probe and then adjusts the nozzle Z height as a function of X and Y to compensate.

The Z home process heats up the tip to a set temp (150C) and then does the actual home command. Don't know if Nylon is sufficiently soft at 150C; if not, you might have to make a firmware adjustment to change the 150C set point to something higher.

All of the above info is based on using a prototype Pro 1.

-Keith

dhatw

Post by dhatw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:52 pm

That's awesome Keith, thank you. Good point about the nylon temperature, I'm about to make a test print with Taulman Alloy 910 and that may be an issue. I will pre heat the hot end and turn it back up if it let's me when the auto levelling routine starts.

dhatw

Post by dhatw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:09 pm

My first dual head print (ever).
Attachments
20160116_164219.jpg
20160116_161556.jpg
Just a 30x30 multicoloured cube.

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:22 pm

I wrote down some of my experience with the Felix Pro 1. Unfortunately, so far, I did not find time for printing some benchmark pieces.

http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/Felix_Pro_1_3D_printer

Of interest (you decide): Ease of use (including self-calibration), reliability of longer prints, objects with a large flat bottom, things to improve in Felix Builder, support of "limp" TPE...

- cheers ! Daniel