Test print generator in Python

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
frankjoke

Test print generator in Python

Post by frankjoke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Dear all,

I wanted to test new filament about their best print temperatures speeds, retract or feed.

Using a lot of fixed test models was cumbersome because you had to change some things manually and repeat print.

I therefore generated a relative small Python (3.x) program which prints some thin walls in n*m format and changes temperature every mm (all settings can be defined).

The TestGen generates a g-code file which can be feeded directly to the printer.
2014-04-19 21.37.40.jpg
Testprint in work

The print above is with lightblue very nice shining PLA from Sainsmart.
On the web page they were speaking abou 215° temperature to print, but prints were not so nice!
Now I know that it prints nicer with 190° (the test went down printing up to 175° without problems but not so nice on all speeds)

This test print was 3 different speeds and 3 different feeds (= 9 towers) with 40 degrees test span (every mm has a different temperature), it took 1h15 to print and I added the g-code file into the Zip.
TestGen.zip
The python script and a test print example file
(22.13 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
I hope you like it :P

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:07 pm

I just uploaded a new version with a lot more command line options so you can create different test prints easily without changing python code.
TestGen20140427.zip
New Version
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

seaton

Post by seaton » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks for sharing!!!

I don't know what they don't include something like this with the Slicers or control programs like Repeiter. Would make life much easier when calibrating a new spool
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au