Latest Software/firmware for Felix 1.0

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
danielkschneider

Re: Latest Software/firmware for Felix 1.0

Post by danielkschneider » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi,

Is there a reason for using SFACT instead of the original Skeinforge ? If I understand right, SFACT is easier to use, i.e. allows to first calibrate a printer and then let users adjust rather ratios (scalers) instead of absolute values. Also, it does not set the temperatures in the G-code, but just lets the user heat the printer before.
That's quite a good approach. However I find documentation very incomplete. I made a short list of links so that others can explore:
http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/SFACT_slicer

Does someone have an answer for the following:

* Is there some good SFACT documentation I missed ?

* Could I also use regular skefinforge instead of SFACT in Repetier-Host with the Felix ? Of course, that means figuring out a meaningful flow rate (RPM). If yes, do you have a hint ?

* Speed/"Main Fee Rate" (mm/s) and scaler) is not documented. I can understand these two I hope. If I leave Main Feed Rate = 60 and set Scaler to 1.1 I get more fat. (same head movement speed, but more plastic)

* For a flat DUPLO roof do I need to change Fill/bridge or and inset/Width multiplier (I think so, that's actually a skeinforge question I should be able to figure out myself...

* Why should one have to set a nozzle diameter in Inset ?

Btw. in the Inset, there is a Bridge Width Multiplier == 50. Shouldn't that be rather something between 0.8 and 1.5 ?

- Cheers Daniel

PS: Attached a meaningful DUPLO piece
Attachments
felix-duplo-1.jpg
felix duplo pic
duplo-felix.stl
STL file for a Felix DUPLO
(106.53 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 pm

danielkschneider wrote: Is there a reason for using SFACT instead of the original Skeinforge ?
Yes, it got me decent prints a lot faster than skeinforge. I also feel that it scales very well if I change several parameters. With skeinforge if you change one value, you must change several others to keep it optimal.
danielkschneider wrote:* Is there some good SFACT documentation I missed ?
Don't know, the best I found was on the website of SFACT, but a lot of settings are also documented by skeinforge.
danielkschneider wrote: * Could I also use regular skefinforge instead of SFACT in Repetier-Host with the Felix ? Of course, that means figuring out a meaningful flow rate (RPM). If yes, do you have a hint ?
Yes, it can, but I don't know the last good settings anymore. I believe the flow rate should be in the order of magnitude of 30. But not sure.
danielkschneider wrote: * Speed/"Main Fee Rate" (mm/s) and scaler) is not documented. I can understand these two I hope. If I leave Main Feed Rate = 60 and set Scaler to 1.1 I get more fat. (same head movement speed, but more plastic)
In an ideal world the scaler should be 1. Then all the firmware settings and the filament is exactly 1.75mm in diameter. This is almost never the case that's why the multiplier is usefull. It can compensate for these errors. You only have to do a thinwall print once and measure the wall thickness. You can fill in this value and skein the model again. If you thick the calibration box with the measured value, SFACT will output a calibration value. This value should be the optimal scaler value for the used filament
danielkschneider wrote:* For a flat DUPLO roof do I need to change Fill/bridge or and inset/Width multiplier (I think so, that's actually a skeinforge question I should be able to figure out myself...
Don't know haven't tested this one a lot. But default settings gave me very good results for the bridge torturing test
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12925, the bridging results also depend on the temperature, I believe the lower the better.
danielkschneider wrote: * Why should one have to set a nozzle diameter in Inset ?
Don't know. Probably it is used for all other plugins, because the relative values are also dependent upon the nozzle diameter
danielkschneider wrote: Btw. in the Inset, there is a Bridge Width Multiplier == 50. Shouldn't that be rather something between 0.8 and 1.5 ?
It used to be at a low value, and is intended to have extra infill at large overhangs. When I use these values for instance for the naked lady model, at some heights it gives a lot of solid layers. Which take unneccesary long and makes the model ugly. The lower this value the more it will create these solid layers. I don't want them at all, so thats why I used a large value.
danielkschneider wrote: PS: Attached a meaningful DUPLO piece
What an awesome model, will print it this weekend :)

Regards,

Guillaume.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I forgot to tell, if you want to see the SFACT version
2012-06-21_221816.png
sfact version
Do the following:
Step 1
2012-06-21_214900.png
Change the recommended skeinforge path
2012-06-21_214944.png
To the path displayed in the next version
2012-06-21_215115.png
Then open the skeinforge configuration

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanx, Guillaume, for your explanations. Indeed SFACT/Skeinforge seems to be easier, once you understand that it doesn't work like Skeinforge where you always have to set several parameters if you just wish get some more plastic. I'll try SFACT and its calibration when I have time. Next week I'll be on the road. So it may in 10 days ....

Btw. for the DUPLO I set all the scalers to something like 1.1 or 1.2 (can't remember, left my good laptop in my office). Otherwise, the roof was a bit flimsy and the walls didn't touch enough. I also set the distance between filament deposition to 0.37 (instead of 0.38).Could be even lower for that kind of piece I think.

Wow the bridge test must be tough ! I'll try it some day :)

HLA

Post by HLA » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi,

I was playing around with the Bridge Width Multiplier when trying to solve my bridging issues. One interesting thing I found was: the path of the nozzle looks different when using different BWM parameters.

With a BWM=50, the bridge is filled diagonally (I guess at an angle of the infill), while at BWM=1, the bridge is filled along the perimeter of the bridge. With BWM=50, I had trouble with the extruded plastic sticking to the perimeter of the bridge, so that the bridge basically fell through inbetween the perimeters of the bridge. However, BWM=1 gave me perfect bridges. By the way, a good test for bridging is the part http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7461 .

I guess it really depends on the part, as Guillaume suggests, but I got really nice bridges after setting the BWM to 1.

Cheers,
HLA
Attachments
BWMhigh.JPG
BWM=50
BWMhigh.JPG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 735 times
BWMlow.JPG
BWM=1
BWMlow.JPG (14.08 KiB) Viewed 735 times

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:08 pm

There is a new version of Repetier-host uploaded. It's definitely a nice update

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 am

gfeliksdal wrote:There is a new version of Repetier-host uploaded. It's definitely a nice update
Actually, you could have mentioned that your distribution also includes very nice SFACT profiles (in the plural). In the last edition there were less. E.g. try the "Production, no support, normal fill".

Anyhow, thanx also for these profiles :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Thx, I've added your comment to the 1st post :)

franchute260

Post by franchute260 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi, i download the last Repetierfirmware 7, everythings look all rigth, but it run only one file(40X10.STL),for the others file, it load it, but don t "run job".(it dont load g-codes) and it say that the job is finished.
And when i print (40X10.STL), almost finishing the job, printer make some wrongs movements.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 am

Hi franchute260,

We've had some mail contact prior to this forum message. Is it working now? I assume you mean repetier-host instead of repetier firmware in your last message?