Mac users - please raise your hand...

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
Raleonh

Re: Mac users - please raise your hand...

Post by Raleonh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:03 pm

The printer stays Idle in the Repetier and the S-fact files even if I go step by step with the manual don't work!
:(

Raleonh

Post by Raleonh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:58 pm

I was able to install Repetier- Host with the S-fact profiles but so far I'm struggling to make the connection with the printer, the Status is always Idle! :(

markchagers

Post by markchagers » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Me too!
I am an avid Mac user. I saw the suggestion on this page to switch to sd-card and display unit, and while it may be a nice idea allowing you to print away from your computer, it means spending another € 60,- on hardware, and I assume you still need to do the slicing on your computer, so it doesn't really solve any of the software issues that Mac users are confronted with (missing Cura engine etc).

fesch

Post by fesch » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:30 pm

Another happy Mac user running all applications natively on OSX. :-)

AdamClark

Post by AdamClark » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:31 am

Netfabb can only open .STL or .OBJ files. If you need to convert to these file types you can use Meshlab

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:23 pm

I am a new Felix V3 user, just finished the DIY kit, and printing my second project, the Filament Guide from Felix. I'm using a new macbook pro retina (15 inch) with the Repetier software and Skeinforge/Sfact slicer. Slicing works great, print looks nice, but I feel that this printer is going a bit fast, the first layer doesn't stick that well. Can't find where to slow printing down.

EDIT: I've set the skeinforge setting to production quality, and changed the nozzle width, this was set to 0.38 but it's 0.35, this time the layer stuck, part is printing fine now!

Furthermore I've not had any problems with the printer on Mac, had to change firmware to 0.92 for it to get recognized but since then no problems. Occasionally the printer loses connection when not doing something with it. Might this be some kind of failsafe?

Hugues

Post by Hugues » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Eli-Audio wrote:...Occasionally the printer loses connection when not doing something with it. Might this be some kind of failsafe?
Got that too, although not under OS, but when it happens i click on the emergency stop icon of repetier and the connection comes back.

By the way, i used to use Skeinforge before but moved to Sli3er.org, much much faster to slice and there are new releases regularly, whereas Skeinforge dev sees to be dead if i'm not mistaken.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Can't say I've got in trouble with Skeinforge so far. I'm not printing the biggest projects yet!

I've had not problem with the last three prints, PLA sticks to the bed perfectly! Just printed the filament guide, the filament coat hanger, and right now he's spitting out a toy just for fun...

I will look into other slicers when I get into the bigger projects.

PacNWFelixFan

Post by PacNWFelixFan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:09 am

Another happy Mac user here (Mac Plus in storage!!). Running Yosemite, Repetier-Host .56, learning Rhino for Mac, use SLIC3R and SFACT (Skeinforge). Looking forward to "FELIX Builder" for the Mac too. I'm new to 3D printing but was able to assemble, repair, and upgrade a DIY kit (with email support from FelixUSA). Looking forward to advancing to a dual extruder some day!

agentmulder

Post by agentmulder » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:11 am

For a few reasons (mostly application availability like Solidworks) I've had to use windows recently so to use my mac ram at full advantage I did a bootcamp windows 8.1 partition.

So far I think it's more smooth going in terms of workflow, more tools available in more advanced versions, if I return to the mac side I'd run everything for the 3d printer via a virtual partition now and not use the mac native versions...

The new stuff in Windows 8 on the other hand - jeez what a mess - give me OSX any day :roll: :lol: