Looking for info about the firmware bootloader:

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
andrewsi

Looking for info about the firmware bootloader:

Post by andrewsi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello Guillaume/etc.:

As you may or may not be aware, Microsoft Windows 10 has a new built-in capability for 3D printing, and comes with a free app called 3D Builder which performs model loading/viewing, slicing, and prints directly to compatible printers. Out of the box, it's compatible with only a limited range of printers, but in fact there is a built-in documented capability work with any typical Reprap variant by putting a small amount of information in the device's USB descriptor.

This is formally documented here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/En-US/Librar ... A96E77765F

I've been working with other folks here at MS to discuss how to retrofit this capability into the Felix USB firmware, and it sounds like it should be a fairly simple job, but the main issue before I start is to understand what bootloader you flash into the board at your factory. I don't have it front of me at the moment, so I can't quite remember if you're using the Arduino 16U8 as the USB->Serial front end or whether you are just using an FTDI 232H chip. Having some idea of what controls the USB enumeration on the Felix board would help me in this project. I'd be happy to offer the results back to you afterwards so that newer units could be Windows 10 compatible "out of the box", and/or older units could be upgraded to support the capability, if it's retrofittable at all. (Might not be with the FTDI, come to think of it.)

Feel free to get in touch with me via private message.

Thanks-
Andy