Upgrade software not working

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
Studiojohn

Upgrade software not working

Post by Studiojohn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:10 pm

Help!

I have just upgraded to the Repetier host for Felix 3.0 Version 1.03 and now the extruded lines are not solid but intermittent and the fill lines are too far apart and just not laying correctly. I thought I had everything set up correctly but now its a waste of time. I can't print anything worth keeping.

What am I doing wrong. I have tried different slicers, different settings but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone offer any advice?

I have a Felix 3.0 Dual head

John

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Just one question, there is version 1.05 available, why did you install 1.03?
http://shop.felixprinters.com/downloads ... =software/

Studiojohn

Post by Studiojohn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:38 am

I have the software also installed on my laptop and that is 1.05 but still doesnt seem to be right yet. I have played with the settings on slicr3 now and got better results but the key problem is the surface finish which is just full of holes. I have slic3r 1.1.7. I have also tried using the other optional slicers but they don't work at all.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:28 pm

Ok, so it seems not the Repetier SW is the problem!

Is the bad finish on the top or bottom of the print, or everywhere in between?
How does the wholes look? Very often this is wrong slicing setup or printer or level adjustment.

p.s.: I never slice within Repetier, I slice with Kisslicer or Cura as separate programs and load only G-Code file into Repetier.

Studiojohn

Post by Studiojohn » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:06 am

I have tried everything I know (which isn't much) to sort this out but I am now defeated. It seems the outside layers (vertical and horizontal) are simply not being extruded. Here are 2 photos, 1 is a simple collar which printed from the old software (.99 i think) and a new one from the V 1.05 Slic3r1.1.7.

I downloaded the tweezer holder (neat idea btw) because it was small and I could test a few theories with it but it is awful and I dont know why. I used the settings for draft 250 micron V0.1 and this what I got. Someone must know whats wrong and if its not the software then what else could it be. I can still print from my old files.
Old print
New Print

Any advice would be useful
regards
John

http://www.scalewarship.com/forumimages/Tweezer.gcode

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Looks strange!

First layer seem to go into bed :) Other layers not to extrude well.

I printed it as well and checked differences with my gcode (generated by Kisslicer).

One thing is that speeds are much lower on mine. half or 1/3rd of yours if not slower on perimeters.

Anyhow, test to reduce/increase speed & feed in Repetier whyle printing to see when it get's better or worse.

The strange thing is that feed is not continuous. Check Extruder if it has enough grip (the screw on top).

No clue what else it could be because I did not have such a bad print so far unless the extruder nozzle was stuck and I had to redrill nozzle and clean the whole extruder parts.
This happened when I had bad PLA or rough woodfill which did not like the 0.35 nozzle.

Studiojohn

Post by Studiojohn » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for the tips on the speeds. I will try them at a lower setting and see if that makes a difference. The intermittent issue is the biggest problem now I think. When i extrude manually I do generally get a constant feed and it looks OK. But then under gcode it is very intermittent. I do get occassionally that woodpecker sound that I believe indicates the feed screw is slipping. I am not really sure how to adjust this properly. I can turn the screw up or down but how on earth am I supposed to know what is actually happening. The Manual is, frankly, worse than useless on these points. I am not confident enough to disassemble the hot end so I think i will probably have to send it in for a service/repair.

However I am grateful for your comments and friendly advice