using Cura instead of repetierhost

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
Theo Schumacher

using Cura instead of repetierhost

Post by Theo Schumacher » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 am

Hello,

I'am new to 3D printing. I want to prepare my Laptop for printing with the Felix printer. The Laptop is running fedora 20 linux. Repetierhost does not run on this machine because of some compatibility problems with the mono (.net framework in linux) libraries. Is it possible to use Cura instead of Repetierhost ?

Thx
Theo

satoer

Post by satoer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:18 pm

I believe (correct me if I’m wrong!) the Cura software only works directly with an Ultimaker 3D printer. You can use the Cura-engine with repetier-host, but then you have the same problem.
You can export the generated G-code out of Cura, put it on an SD card and print directly. With long prints I use also SD cards. It's a bit more reliable by removing the chance of a software crash

Why not try another linux distribution?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Theo Schumacher

Post by Theo Schumacher » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:12 am

taken from GITHUB: CuraEngine is a powerful, fast and robust engine for processing 3D models into 3D printing instruction for Ultimaker and other GCode based 3D printers.

So, basically any G-code compatible printer should work. There is a menu option in Cura: 'define new machine' and it is possible to define the properties (nozzle, build size etc ...).

I do not have the printer yet, it will be delivered next week. For the moment i'am just preparing. Therefore i cannot test it right now.

simon truant

Post by simon truant » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 am

I have a Felix 3.0 and I only use Cura Engine.
It works very fine and I have nice prints.
In the user manual of the printer, it says that the felix printers work best with Cura(in repetierhost)
I think it's the same when you use it not in repetierhost

Theo Schumacher

Post by Theo Schumacher » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Thank you for your comment. Finally I managed to install both Cura and Repetierhost. So I can test which one is best for me.

fesch

Post by fesch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:46 am

Generally spoken, you can use *any* slicer software an then export the generated GCode, which can be put onto an SD-card for direkt printing or loaded in Repetier-Host and printed from there. Actually you could event use some other GCode-Sender software to stream the code to the printer. Repetier-Host has the advantage to display time indications (which mostly are wrong...) and the preview of where the printing head will be moved to.

Personally I used the Kisslicer and print only from the SD card.