Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
olce

Cura dual extrusion settings

Post by olce » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get my first dual extrusion print going:
-extruder 0 : PLA blue
-extruder 1 : PLA red

the object & goal : a base plate in blue, a letter "F" in blue, and the number 2 on top of that plate in red.

Basic settings :
- 150µm
- PLA temp set to 195°
- bed temp set to 55°

I started of with the standard settings from Cura,
tried with and without "ooze wall"
played with retraction (10 - 20 mm) between extruder switch, etc..
removed the initial purging of the 2nd extruder (to prevent some of the initial oozing)

it prints the prime and wipe tower (badly by the looks of it)
it seems that the ooze wall is printed with the blue and red pla on top of each other (don't know if that is good or bad)

I still get ooze from the red PLA. Changing retraction does not seem to solve the issue. (it even seems to make it worse in some attempts)

example of what I mean:
(of the the best results so far)

So the question is : what are the best settings for dual extrusion printing with Cura-engine
or what settings could improve the print or mitigate the oozing?

thanks

Olivier
Felix 3D 3.0, DUAL extruder setup
Firmware: 20141107 - FIRMWARE - Repetier 0.92 - FELIX_3_0_DUAL_extrusion
RepetierHost : FELIX Printers 1.0.6

kerog

Post by kerog » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:17 am

The most effective way to stop the oozing is to have the extruder that is not in use rest at a lower temperature. You can do this in Cura using the preSwitchExtruder and postSwitchExtruder gcode. The wipe tower in Cura is annoying in that Cura switches extruders every other layer even if there's nothing to be printed in the actual object with the other extruder, as in your example. This is a known problem, but it's not clear if it will get fixed before Pink Unicorn is released. KISSlicer does a better job with the dual extrusion in general, but Cura does way better with fine detail like lettering. Also, I like Cura's solid wipe tower more than KISSlicer's hollow tower, as the latter sometimes detaches and becomes worse than useless. Last time I did some multi-material dual extrusion, I ended up starting with Cura and then editing the gcode by hand.

olce

Post by olce » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks,

I already tried to play with temp (printing extruder at 195, non-printing extruder at 175)
but I'll try lowering it more
and keep this post updated
(will take a few days, as things are busy here)
Felix 3D 3.0, DUAL extruder setup
Firmware: 20141107 - FIRMWARE - Repetier 0.92 - FELIX_3_0_DUAL_extrusion
RepetierHost : FELIX Printers 1.0.6

fesch

Post by fesch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 am

Yes, lower temperatures for the non-printing extruder gives a good result but takes more time as extruders have to be heated up/down between each switching.

mr_cg

Post by mr_cg » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Try to disable the fan for the whole print.
Without fan i could eleminate the oozing completely.
Try and report.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:44 pm

I am using Kisslicer and it is able to generate a pillar which includes small circles for each extruder.

It reduces temperatures of unused extruders and when tehy print the pillars they also 'cool down and distribute' the extra filament of the other extruder on the pillar. In this way you minimize the effect on the real print am move it to the pillar.