Update 1.05 and firmware 0,92 (?) issue

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
DDME-Marc

Re: Update 1.05 and firmware 0,92 (?) issue

Post by DDME-Marc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 am

Hi Frankjoke,

Anyone attempting unattended running of the printer should consider the 0.92 firmware since this release now provides a safety not previously available.

I have read of printers in the past (RepRap Wiki etc) of having a major meltdowns due to thermistor or heater element related failures. Various solutions have been discussed and the developers at Repetier have gone down a path of monitoring temperatures constantly, ensuring printers respond within set time parameters and achieve temperature targets set within the firmware.

Its a shame that the first release of 0.92 did not provide a stable enough temperature control complete with low noise PID convergence signals for the Felix, because many users were initiating heater element decoupling due to false triggers.

Although its fair to say printers will vary to a degree in terms of differing set up and possibly components, my current settings with the 0.92 firmware allow me to walk away with confidence in terms of safety, whilst remaining free of false decoupling errors.

Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi All,

Having run a few more prints since the last post has meant more time time to compare small incremental changes with the extruder PID settings in the 0.92 firmware.

Latest settings have resulted in temperature oscillations of no more than plus 0.4 degrees to minus 0.6 degrees from the set target temperature (when working in the 250 degrees work range), regardless of travels and retracts. I am reasonably pleased with this degree of oscillation given the constantly changing work load environment.

Although temperature oscillations have improved slightly compared to previous settings the negative trade off is that I still observe a 1~2 degree overshoot when starting from cold.
Output_extruder.jpg
With Current settings at:
Configuration-h.jpg
With fairly solid benchmarks for optimal settings in hand for ABS/PET type materials (and still free of any decoupling issues) I will endeavour to check the signal for noise/chatter.

If anyone is interested I can post findings, assuming of course that the derivative action is causing noise after all , and also that I can get conclusive results of the oscilloscope.

Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *

Chris.E

Post by Chris.E » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:28 pm

I've had these issues for over a month with troubles with both extruders, and as a 3d printing noobie, I was not sure if was a hardware or software problem. After finding this thread, it has stopped me going insane :-)

I tried Marc's setting which made things a lot better. Cheers Marc

Then I found this on YouTube, which shows you how to set your PID values, but it also shows details of the PID MAX value, which seems to be a ratio of the power (current) used to make corrections to the PID Loop, I changed my PID MAX down to 150 as suggested, the result of this seen at present is my temp curve has more small variants rather than looking like a square wave with loop constantly over compensating.

http://youtu.be/Jf6C0AiQ41k

I hope this is of some help to you people. And not just misguided info from a noob