Felix Tec 4 Upgrade: Installed

General discussions regarding hardware
kerog

Felix Tec 4 Upgrade: Installed

Post by kerog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:07 am

Hi all.

I recently bought the upgrade kit for the Tec 4, and thought some people might be interested in hearing about my experience. I don't have a time for a long post now, but will provide more details later.

I bought my printer as a dual Felix 3 back in 2015. I upgraded to a 3.1 when that came out. My printer was working pretty well, so I didn't really have a need for the upgrade, but it had a couple of compelling features and I was curious. This is my hobby, so I was able to rationalize the expense. :-)

The upgrade process was relatively painless. There were a few stumbling blocks along the way, which I will detail in a later post, but nothing serious.

The description they give of the auto leveling capability for the Tec 4 on the web site isn't super clear, so I thought I'd provide some extra detail. When you select the bed leveling calibration from the LCD, it warms up the bed and extruders and does a 3-point probe. It then gives you instructions on precisely how much to turn the two leveling knobs, which have markings in 10 degree increments. It then repeats the process until you get to within a certain threshold, after which it appears to do a bump map that I am guessing is stored in the EPROM. So it's kind of like what the Pro 2 does in terms of getting a mechanical level instead of a software correction, but without the actuators.

I've only done a couple prints so far, but the quality of what I've gotten is very nice.

The big thing, though, in my mind, is the magnetically attached removable build plate. This is simply great. The big flaw with the previous Felix 3 design in my mind has always been the susceptibility of the aluminum build plate to warping, and between the inductive probe and the removable plate I'm optimistic that I will be able to print with confidence over the entire build surface (which looks smaller than the 3, but it seems they've just trimmed away the area that wasn't printable anyway).

I've got a few nitpicky comments I'll save for the next post, but I'm now at the point where I think I could really recommend this printer to friends. Here are what I think are the key features:

(1) Removable, heated build plate
(2) Portability. The handle makes it by far the easiest printer I know of to move around, great for taking to schools or clubs or wherever it's needed. I don't know of any sizable printer that has anything like this.
(3) Reliable (I hope) dual extrusion.
(4) Solid frame and direct drive for high print speed with good accuracy
(5) Modifiability and Upgradability. The aluminum extrusion is easy to attach stuff to, and Felix continues to allow upgrades.
(6) Price. With the Tec 4, you're now getting a printer that I think compares well to an Ultimaker or Taz that you can build yourself with a substantially lower price tag. The upgrade felt pricey (it replaces all the expensive parts of the printer), but buying new seems like a real deal.

My printer is over two years old now, but it feels like a brand new machine. Happy times!

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for the post. I wonder how effective the heat barrier between the hot and cold end of the new extruder is in comparison to the old extruder with the PEEK element - and whether the PEEK replacement will become hotter on its surface than the PEEK (at the same extrusion temp, of course).

weigu

Post by weigu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi,
Like kerog, I upgraded from 3 to 3.1 and now to Tec4 (dual).
I have a problem with the Z-probe. When I do a Z-calibration (over display) it stops at 4 cm and I have to scroll a very long way down. The bed leveling takes part at approx. 2 cm from the bed (is this normal?) and says the bed is leveled.
When I try to print with simplify the extruder hits the bed hard.
Also simplify does react (manual home or Z Control) only after heating which is quite annoying.
The probe is mounted like in the manual (approx 4mm above extruder tip).
Thanks for help.

weigu

Post by weigu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi again,
My sensor is an E2BM12KS04 WP C2.
@Kerog; what type did you get?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Weigu,
What control board do you have? Does the sensor led go out when you have some metal part near it? Are you sure the tip of the hot-end does not touch the bed before the led goes out? It is better to have use a smaller than 4mm distance, better would be 2mm. The nominal switching distance is 4mm, so this is then critical when mounting it at this distance from the nozzle tip. We'll change it in the manual asap.

weigu

Post by weigu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:58 am

Hello gfeliksdal,

The board is an V2.1. No the LED is always out, I get no reaction with metal.
I measure 5,4V between GND and VCC and 4,77V between GND and Signal.
The data sheet says 10-30 V for power supply?

Thanks
Guy

weigu

Post by weigu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:59 am

Hi again,
The sensor is working at 12V! Can I use the 12 V from the power supply directly (whats about the resistor and the diode)?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi Guy, after searching we discovered that the v2.1 board are not always working with the inductive sensor when connected to the intended port, because the voltage ends up below the required level. There has been a revision change in the control board a few years back to fix that. So, best thing to do is to indeed connect it directly to the 12V of the powersupply like you suggested.

weigu

Post by weigu » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks Guillaume,
This worked. Greetings Guy

ElektrOpa

Post by ElektrOpa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:36 pm

kerog wrote:Hi all.

I recently bought the upgrade kit for the Tec 4, and thought some people might be interested in hearing about my experience. I don't have a time for a long post now, but will provide more details later.

I bought my printer as a dual Felix 3 back in 2015. I upgraded to a 3.1 when that came out. My printer was working pretty well, so I didn't really have a need for the upgrade, but it had a couple of compelling features and I was curious. This is my hobby, so I was able to rationalize the expense. :-)

The upgrade process was relatively painless. There were a few stumbling blocks along the way, which I will detail in a later post, but nothing serious.

The description they give of the auto leveling capability for the Tec 4 on the web site isn't super clear, so I thought I'd provide some extra detail. When you select the bed leveling calibration from the LCD, it warms up the bed and extruders and does a 3-point probe. It then gives you instructions on precisely how much to turn the two leveling knobs, which have markings in 10 degree increments. It then repeats the process until you get to within a certain threshold, after which it appears to do a bump map that I am guessing is stored in the EPROM. So it's kind of like what the Pro 2 does in terms of getting a mechanical level instead of a software correction, but without the actuators.

I've only done a couple prints so far, but the quality of what I've gotten is very nice.

The big thing, though, in my mind, is the magnetically attached removable build plate. This is simply great. The big flaw with the previous Felix 3 design in my mind has always been the susceptibility of the aluminum build plate to warping, and between the inductive probe and the removable plate I'm optimistic that I will be able to print with confidence over the entire build surface (which looks smaller than the 3, but it seems they've just trimmed away the area that wasn't printable anyway).

I've got a few nitpicky comments I'll save for the next post, but I'm now at the point where I think I could really recommend this printer to friends. Here are what I think are the key features:

(1) Removable, heated build plate
(2) Portability. The handle makes it by far the easiest printer I know of to move around, great for taking to schools or clubs or wherever it's needed. I don't know of any sizable printer that has anything like this.
(3) Reliable (I hope) dual extrusion.
(4) Solid frame and direct drive for high print speed with good accuracy
(5) Modifiability and Upgradability. The aluminum extrusion is easy to attach stuff to, and Felix continues to allow upgrades.
(6) Price. With the Tec 4, you're now getting a printer that I think compares well to an Ultimaker or Taz that you can build yourself with a substantially lower price tag. The upgrade felt pricey (it replaces all the expensive parts of the printer), but buying new seems like a real deal.

My printer is over two years old now, but it feels like a brand new machine. Happy times!
Hi kerog,
my Felix printer has a similar history. I also got it as a 3.0 Dual Head, upgraded it to 3.1 Dual Head two years ago and now bought the upgrade kit to TEC4 Dual Head, but haven't started the upgrade yet.
I would be very much interested in your experiences before I start to make my own :-)
Hope you soon find the time to describe it. Thanks in advance!