Hot-End temperature rises very slow.

General discussions regarding hardware
Formatize

Hot-End temperature rises very slow.

Post by Formatize » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Guys,

I've got a very odd problem with my Felix 3.0 Dual that I downgraded to a single. I'm running the latest firmware.

My HB terminal fried on my V2.1 main board and I had to replace it. The new board is a V3.1 and Hot-End 0 takes a very long time to get to the desired temperature. I can't even use the printer because it takes to long.

Here's what I have done to narrow down the problem.
- I've tested the terminal with two different hot-ends to check if it is the hot-end itself but I get the same result.
- I've flashed the main board with the dual firmware to test the Hot-End 1 terminal. This terminal works fine.
- I've reconnected my V2.1 board and the Hot-End 0 terminal works correctly.
-I've measured the current on the Hot-End 0 terminal on the V3.1 main board and it's only 0.15A. It should be 2.5A according to support.
- I've received another new V3.1 board and I still get the same problem.

It can't be the power supply unit because the V2.1 board's Hot-End 0 terminal works correctly apart from the fried HB terminal. Also, the Hot-End 1 terminal on the V3.1 board works correctly.

I've got no idea how to fix this and I would appreciate if anyone could assist.

Thanks
Felix 3.0 Dual, Simplify 3D, Solidworks

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 pm

I assume you always connected the same extruder in your tests, so it is not the heater cartridge.
Does the "Output extruder" graph in Repetier Host indicate full power when heating up? You might want to check your firmware parameter settings for extruder 0 (PID values and such).

Formatize

Post by Formatize » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:07 am

It's not the heater cartridges because both hot-ends work when I install the dual head firmware.

Hot-end 0 heats slowly when I remove the extra hot-end and install the single head firmware. The temperature chart in repetier indicates that it's not sending enough current and I've measured the terminal which confirms it.

I've tried adjusting the PID settings but it didn't have any effect.

I find it strange that it functions correctly when I have the dual firmware installed with the two hot-ends connected.
Felix 3.0 Dual, Simplify 3D, Solidworks

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Formatize wrote:I find it strange that it functions correctly when I have the dual firmware installed with the two hot-ends connected.
It really sounds like you fell into the Repetier EEPROM trap.
Beside the three "normal" PID parameters there is also the "Extr.1 PID max value" which should be set to 255. But if it really is the EEROM trap, other settings might be off too, so an M502 command would be needed to reset all settings.
The pragmatic approach would be, of course, to just use the dual extruder firmware. Might be that you need to connect a temp sensor of the second extruder to keep the firmware happy, but other than that there should be no downside.