Extruder heat erratic then turning off mid-print

General discussions regarding hardware
Bobbystone

Extruder heat erratic then turning off mid-print

Post by Bobbystone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Hey all,

I've had my Felix for a week and am having great fun with it! This morning I've run into some trouble. On several attempts the extruder heat just tuned off , putting the printer into dry run mode. The temps seemed very erratic during the print, but at some point the temp just cuts off. When I disconnect and reconnect repetier host, the heaters work again. Any thoughts?

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 10.36.04 AM.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 10.36.04 AM.png

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Have a look at Repetier's log output. The firmware detected a decoupled heater and switched off for safety reasons. Given the noisy temp readings this does not come as a surprise. It worked well before, so I assume that the settings are okay (see also http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopi ... ling#p6684). Probably the thermistor has bad thermal contact with the extruder, so you might want to check the small set screw which holds the thermistor in place (accessible from below). Don't tighten it with a lot of force though as the thermistor (or rather the aluminum can it resides in) will relatively easily give in.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Bobbystone

Post by Bobbystone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! When you say Thermistor, are you talking about the sensor? or the heater? I assume the sensor, but for some reason I've seen people use the word interchangeably

Thanks again!

Dreide

Post by Dreide » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:53 pm

Bobbystone wrote:When you say Thermistor, are you talking about the sensor? or the heater?
Sensor But while you are at it, you can check the set screw for the heater as well, of course.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design