X Axis not working

Skdo

X Axis not working

Post by Skdo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:56 pm

I recently completed my construction of a Felix 3.1. However, the X axis occasionally stops functioning. If I try to move it through repetier-host it makes a loud grinding sound. I have rechecked the wiring, and I think all the connections are fine. I am a little confused because it will work sporadically. Sometimes the printer will be fine, and then randomly the axis will start grinding. I was in the middle of my first print and the printer was fine for two layers before the x axis stopped functioning. I cannot get it working again. If anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Skdo,

The grinding noise is (usually) when the motor reaches its torque limit... Double check the extruder assembly moves freely along the entire X Axis, and that the belt tension does not change over the travel (and is not excessively tight). Check the motor is not over heating, it should only be warm to touch. If the motor is too hot to touch its possible you have your pots trimmed to high. As a bench mark you can trim down as low as 250 mV, although to avoid skipping I would suggest 350~400 mV as a baseline....

Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *

Skdo

Post by Skdo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:43 am

Hi Marc,
Thank you for your response. I bought a new motor, and I am having the same issue. I do not believe it is a motor issue, the new motor works fine when plugged into the Y axis. However, when I plug it into the X axis I am having the same grinding sound and stuttering motion. This leads me to believe that it is a circuit board issue. If so, is Felix Printers able to send me a new one? If not, how can I fix this problem?
Thank you.

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:09 am

Hi Skdo,

Good to hear the motor works on the Y axis...

As for the board carefully check with a multi meter across the two pins as shown. With power on you should get a reading around 400 millivolt (mV). If its much higher than this try turning down the trim pot (on the opposite side)... If you see no change in mV when trimming then I would expect you have a fault on the board...
board_x-axis.jpg
Whether you are still under warranty or not contact Felix directly for replacement/service/advice.

Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *