Cool light LED bar upgrade

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
satoer

Cool light LED bar upgrade

Post by satoer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Made another great upgrade for my Felix. I always use a flashlight to inspect the model being printed, and wondered if there wasn’t a better solution. And now there is!

I made a LED light bar to inspect the printing model. With an on-off switch. It isn’t just handy, it makes the printer look way cooler it already is. And it cost me less than 7 euro (8 dollar).

So, what you need to create this led-bar besides the printed STL files below…
This LED bar on Ebay. $6,50 (inc shipping)
This Switch on Ebay (you get two pcs) $1,48 (inc shipping)

If the above E-bay links do not work anymore, search for "aluminum led strip" and choose the one with this profile:
profile.jpg
And you need this switch (search: led 12v rocker)
switch.jpg
Saw the aluminum bar to size and cut 6 LEDS from the LED strip.

I’ve designed the supports in a way so you don’t see any wires. The wires go through the small Support, through the aluminum bar and through the long support to the switch. 0V and 12V to the switch and switched 12V and 0V to the LED strip.
Use the round head screw for the long support otherwise it may interfere with the switch.

The small support needs support (for the railslot on the back), you can print the large one without support.

If you like it and make one yourself, please share a picture! I always find it funny to see something I designed used by others.
Attachments
Lightbar [long] [V2].STL
(173.32 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Lightbar [short] [V2].STL
(107.21 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Last edited by satoer on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Great upgrade indeed! I like a lot...

The switch integration is super smooth!

I looked into that kind of LED bar two weeks ago for the same purpose :) I also looked into "angel eyes" but I ran out of time and didn't order any LEDs. Maybe that was just as well :)

Rajhon

Post by Rajhon » Tue May 14, 2013 6:38 pm

satoer wrote:Made another great upgrade for my Felix. I always use a flashlight to inspect the model being printed, and wondered if there wasn’t a better solution. And now there is!

I made a LED light bar to inspect the printing model. With an on-off switch. It isn’t just handy, it makes the printer look way cooler it already is. And it cost me less than 7 euro (8 dollar).

So, what you need to create this led-bar besides the printed STL files below…
This LED bar on Ebay. $6,50 (inc shipping)
This Switch on Ebay (you get two pcs) $1,48 (inc shipping)

Saw the aluminum bar to size and cut 6 LEDS from the LED strip.

I’ve designed the supports in a way so you don’t see any wires. The wires go through the small Support, through the aluminum bar and through the long support to the switch. 0V and 12V to the switch and switched 12V and 0V to the LED strip.
Use the round head screw for the long support otherwise it may interfere with the switch.

The small support needs support (for the railslot on the back), you can print the large one without support.

If you like it and make one yourself, please share a picture! I always find it funny to see something I designed used by others.
I personally recommended for fenix. Now its upgrade version is just awesome in word !

HLA

Post by HLA » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:40 am

Very nice! I was thinking of placing an LED directly on the extruder to illuminate the nozzle, but this is even nicer.

By the way, how did you manage to get these nice renderings of your STLs?

JTa

Post by JTa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 am

I did this upgrade on my Felix and noticed some minor issues:

1. Is the light supposed to flicker while printing? This is quite likely problem with my wireing / power supply though.. :shock:

2. The support is on the way if you need to work on the extruder parts. It would be nice if the supports didn't need any screws to attach into the frame. ie. The supports could have the same instant press fit like your tweezer holder.. :)

DaleHaynes

Post by DaleHaynes » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:38 pm

HLA wrote:Very nice! I was thinking of placing an led light directly on the extruder to illuminate the nozzle, but this is even nicer.

By the way, how did you manage to get these nice renderings of your STLs?
Actually it's excellent. I also want to know how he managed ?

alanh

Post by alanh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:27 pm

This is another cool addon!

Unfortunately the ebay link for the led bar doesn't work. Any other link ? Thanks !

satoer

Post by satoer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks everybody.

I model with 3d studio max, and render with V-ray.
Don't think a press fit solution is strong enough.
Mine does sometimes flicker a little bit, but not enough to be annoying. Maybe a capacitor and a diode solves this fluctuating voltage problem. Although, a computer power supply should be stable.
This is the led-bar you need: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/LED-Rigid-Strip- ... 3a78bb7457

Please share a picture if you made one :)

seaton

Post by seaton » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:14 am

G'day Satoer

How did you route the main power source through to the small support? Did you drill a hole though the top of the frame and route cables via the back? As I couldn't see any power cables routed in the pictures.

Regards,

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

satoer

Post by satoer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:43 am

Yes :) I want to see as less cables as possible.