PLA not sticking just after moves

Moderator: speedake95

daveinhull

PLA not sticking just after moves

Post by daveinhull » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi,

Not been on here for a while, but started a new project.
I've updated to the latest firmware and had some good results. I'm use a Felix 3 with Blue Tape.

Although I get some good results, I've noticed that when it moves to a new location to start printing, the first couple of mm of plastic doesn't extrude quick enough so it drags slight. For example, small circles are always open by a few degrees.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:29 am

Hi Dave,

Can you tell me a bit more about the conditions you are using the printer? For instance

What slicing settings are you using?
What temperatures?
What filament?
Are you sure the filament is not slipping on the extruder drivewheel? Can you easily hold back the filament by hand?

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:26 am

Hi gjeliksdal,

Sorry for the delay in replying, been away.
The filament is still the same as I got when I got the printer (a few year's ago now), can it go off?

I'm using CuraEngine with the default Felix settings; it seems to get worse the higher the quality. Normal quality is ok usually, draft ok most of the time, anything higher then problems; does the surrounding environmental conditions (temperature, humidity) have an effect, I suspect it will.

I had it set to the default 55 bed 195 hotend. I'm using Blue tape on the bed.

I don't think it is slipping as it seems to work in draft and certainly once it gets going (if it makes the first layer ok) then it seems to work very well.

Small holes in the part are particularly effected on the first layer, I rarely get an initial circle, but often this doesn't matter as the infill sorts it out and other than a slight inaccuracy in the dimension (often not critical), there is no problem.

I've upped the bed temperature to 65 and hotend to 205 just yesterday and it seems to be better; I've actually managed to print at very high quality for the first time ever. However, I've had these temperatures before and ran into problems; the only difference I can see at the moment is the hot weather we are having and usually I do a lot of 'home' work in the winter; I'm thinking I should encase my printer in something that would allow me to control the environment or maybe its just the filament reel that needs to be controlled?

Thanks

matthijs

Post by matthijs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi Dave,

Can you decrease the distance to the bed a little?
You can do this for example with babystepping.
Sometimes the filament doesn't stick right away when the nozzle is not close enough to the bed.

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi matthijs,

Thanks for the reply, and it makes sense - sometimes the obvious gets lost in the panic ;)

I've just purchases a capacitance proximeter sensor and I'm going to try to get some auto levelling working as I'm fed-up of doing it by hand.....

Cheers
Dave